Made with store-bought pastry for easy preparation, these flavorful empanadas are served with a fresh and tangy cilantro chimichurri sauce.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 raw chorizo sausages, casing removed
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup canned black beans drained, rinsed and lightly mashed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chili powder
1 small sweet potato, cooked and mashed (about 1/2 lb)
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 pkg (14.1 oz) refrigerator rolled pie crust
2/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp diced jalapeño pepper
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1. Empanadas: Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook chorizo for 5 to 7 minutes or until starting to brown. Stir in onion and black beans; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato paste and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
2. Stir in 1/4 cup water; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until no liquid remains in the pan. Let cool completely. Stir together chorizo mixture, mashed sweet potato, cheese, salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Beat egg with 1 tbsp water; set aside.
4. Place 1 pie crust on lightly floured work surface. Using 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 9 rounds, rerolling scraps as needed.
5. Working in batches, brush edges of each round with egg wash. Place 1 to 2 tbsp chorizo filling in center of pastry round. Bring edges of pastry together to create half-moon shape. Fold over to enclose filling. Press edges together and crimp with fork to seal.
6. Brush top of pastry with egg wash; prick with fork to create steam vents. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry crust and filling to make 18 empanadas. Bake empanadas for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
7. Chimichurri Sauce: Stir together cilantro, parsley, oil, jalapeño, vinegar, garlic and salt.
8. Serve empanadas with chimichurri sauce for dipping.